Things to Do to Burglar Proof Your Home
Simple Tips on Securing your Homes from Burglars
Did you know that property crime happens every 3 seconds and home burglary occurs every 15 seconds? Quite unbelievable, isn’t? But that is reality. Gone were the days when our great grandparents can leave their homes without locking the doors. You need to watch over your house every now and then or get a good security system so that you can leave the house with a peace of mind.
Many have been said about getting expensive but advanced home security systems. You can search the Internet and get the best ever security systems installed on your homes.
Every home is a potential candidate for criminals. But what could be the reason why they break into this house and not the other? The answer is simple. You need to make sure that your home is unappealing to the burglars so that you can safeguard your homes.
Here are some ideas or tips so that burglars will be turned off with your home.
1. You can let go of the thought of having huge electric bill. Just put lights all over the house to shun these burglars away. Lights can be decorative and can bring forth a good ambiance in the house. But these lights are the main reason why burglars would not want to break into your homes. Put lights on spots on your house where burglars can use to go in. Put lights on the door, driveway, sidewalk, small rooms or windows.
2. Use curtains to cover your windows. Of course, if the burglar could not see what is inside, he would not think of breaking in since he would not be attracted with the beautiful sofa that you have, the gold figurines and expensive vases that you have. Don’t ever give the criminal the idea that he can get a lot from your house.
3. Make sure that your doors and windows are locked. You just don’t need to lock the doors and windows during the night. There have been reports that 30 percent of burglaries happen in while the sun shines brightly. The burglars enter the home simply walking through the door which is opened and crawled in from that opened window.
4. Make sure to trim the shrubs, trees and plants in your garden. These can be hiding grounds for burglars. They might be observing you and your family behind these trees and are ready to get in once you are all asleep. Also, if you have trimmed the trees, your neighbors can have a better view of what is happening on your home.
5. Put gravel on the ground of your windows. This is a unique alarm. Once someone walks on the gravel, you will be warned that someone might be planning an assault to your home. Just make sure that you do not put large rocks that burglars can use as tools in breaking in.
6. Plant roses or any thorny plans along your fence. These can be used as initial weapons for burglars. This will discourage them from climbing your fence.
7. Your street or house number should be clear. This will help the authorities in easily locating your place should and alarm will inform them of possible burglary.
8. Get good quality locks. Consider buying a double-tumbler deadbolt lock. These kinds of locks will only be opened using one key. So burglars can not just break in and turn the handle of the door.
9. Make use of the security stickers from your home security company. Usually, if your home is monitored using a security system, a sticker or a sign comes with it. Use these to discourage attempts from burglars or theft for having your home as a prospect for the next victim.
10. Should you be out of the house, make an illusion that someone is still at home. You can turn the lights on or even have a timer for lamps to be switched on during the night. You can also time your TV to discourage burglary during the day.